CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Improv is the opposite of organizing

To improve my speaking, listening, funning skills I started taking an improv class at Dad's Garage in Atlanta. After 3 weeks I have come to realize why some of the exercises are so hard for me... it's the opposite of organizing.
Instead it is letting go of knowing, anticipating, & planning. I am like a fish out of water.
It's like being a kid again, when you have to go along with what the grown ups want to do because they're the grown ups. Or maybe it's more like becoming a hive-mind (like the Borg for you Trekkers) and thinking for & with the group.
If anyone is trying to learn to let go of perfection, let go of letting the little things bother you... I suggest an improv class. And you don't have to be funny, but it helps.

Learning to go with the flow... Allison

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allison, you rock! I think I would really enjoy doing that. It's going on the list: "Plan to do improv."

- Lorie

Megan Spears said...

How fun and how brave of you! I would never have the nerve! I would actually think this to be easy for you...